Alutiiq language revitalization has been a focus at the Alutiiq Museum since 2003. After ten years, it is heartening to reflect back on the accomplishments of our Elders, communities, and organizations. Yet, there is so much more to be done. To develop the next steps in language revitalization, we recently cohosted strategic planning sessions with NVA, tribal organizations, and Kodiak College. Participants from across the Alutiiq nation developed a series of action steps, adopted by the Qik’rtarmiut Alutiit Committee, our regional planning group. Together, we reconfirmed the movement’s mission “To bring back the sound of Alutiiq to the voices of our youth, through the words of our Elders,” and developed overarching strategies to guide efforts:
• Facilitate and strengthen fluency acquisition for Alutiiq learners and speakers.
• Grow language education, outreach, and public awareness to support Alutiiq speakers and program efforts.
• Develop and promote the use of targeted Alutiiq language educational materials.
• Increase partnerships and communication to strengthen the language movement for a healthy Alutiiq Nation.
• Celebrate and sustain the many ways of speaking Alutiiq.
To address these goals, the group planned a community engagement campaign for Alutiiq language learning and wellness, an annual symposium to develop partnerships and improve communications, language learning kits built from existing resources, and support for language acquisition outreach that celebrates the many ways of speaking Alutiiq. No one organization can accomplish language revitalization but in partnership and with the commitment of individuals and their families, we are kindling the spark of Alutiiq language in our youth.
to discuss the many ways you can learn Alutiiq, or visit the Alutiiq Language web site or the Alutiiq Museum's language learning web pages.